British tourists hospitalised after Cuba hotel hit by food poisoning
By AOL Travel, Apr 12, 2014
Around 18 British holidaymakers have been put on IV drips after the
four-star Thomas Cook hotel they were staying at in Cuba was hit by a
The tourists have complained of diarrhoea and sickness while at the
Hotel Playa Pesquero in Holguin, the Daily Mail reports.
They reported under-cooked meals and dirty swimming pools.
The news comes just a few weeks after tour operator Thomas Cook paid out
£150,000 in compensation to 20 holidaymakers who were struck down with
food poisoning at the same hotel in 2013.
A number of tourists took to travel review website TripAdvisor to tell
of their experiences at the hotel.
User DominoOne, from London, said: “At this moment in time there is a
sickness bug going around which has wiped out approximately 80% of the
hotel with 18 people requiring IV fluids and a number have been admitted
“This was confirmed to me by the numerous on site doctors following my
families many visits to the onsite Surgery. In the last day or 2 the
hotel have taken note and began to cover items in the food halls with
cling film but the general standard of Hygiene in the hotel is very poor.”
Another users complained of the food hygiene, writing: “The freshly
cooked omelettes were cooked in pans that had not seen water or cleaning
products since they were first used, on gas stoves that were caked in
cooking fat, and dirt.
“Birds fly in and help themselves to food from the serving dishes, as
there are no nets to cover any food. There are 2 empty pools in the
restaurant, that have been drained, but have stagnant rain water and
dirt in the bottom of them, and you are sitting next to them whilst
eating. The chair covers are filthy dirty, along with the railings in
the restaurant that is covered in dirt and grime.”
Steve Lomax, of solicitors Simpson Millar, which is representing the
holidaymakers, told the Daily Mirror: “We strongly suspect it’s
bacterial food poisoning and it’s certainly got form at this particular
“It looks like dozens of Brits are affected. The allegations are very
similar this time; birds in the restaurant, poor food hygiene, birds
droppings in food, dirty equipment and under-cooked food.
“It’s difficult getting home early as flights are fortnightly with the
Source: British tourists’ Cuba holiday ruined by food poisoning at
Thomas Cook hotel – AOL Travel UK –